Friday, August 1, 2008

John McLiar

Update #2: Here's Bob Herbert going off on the McCain campaign. Er . . . uh . . . whoa.

You knew something was up back in March when, in his first ad of the general
campaign, Mr. McCain had himself touted as “the American president Americans
have been waiting for.”
Oh, there's more.

Update: The NY Times editorial board takes McCain to task and brings up an issue I hadn't even considered. The first time we hear of the "race card" being played from the "bottom of the deck"? . . . OJ Simpson. How's that for playing the "race card"?

John McCain, in a press conference today, said that he didn't bring up race in the campaign, that Barack Obama did. I disagree, but that's not the lie I'm referring to. The lie I'm referring to is McCain's insistence that Obama retracted the comments that started the debate. Obama hasn't. And he shouldn't.

There're also some dillusional comments McCain makes about his running a respectful campaign. Here's a pretty good assessment of the issue:

From TPM Election Central -

McCain: Our Campaign Isn't "Negative In The Slightest"
By Greg Sargent - August 1, 2008, 4:38PM

John McCain just held a presser in Florida. Here are the, er, high points:

• Said "I don't think our campaign is negative in the slightest." There are negative McCain ads running as we speak, and in the very same presser, he attacked Obama for injecting race into the campaign again.

• Blamed Obama for bringing up the issue of race in the campaign, and repeatedly said that Obama had "retracted" his charge that McCain is using race. It was obvious by the repetition of "retracted" that this was a cooked up talking point, and it was apparently a reference to the fact that the Obama campaign said it didn't think McCain had used race in the campaign.

But this wasn't a "retraction" at all: The Obama camp hasn't conceded he said that in the first place.

• Said he wants to move on from the race debate. But his campaign manager Rick Davis aggressively attacked Obama for allegedly playing the race card just today.

• Described a new Web ad implying that Obama believes he's the Messiah as "having some fun."
Is it happy hour yet?

Obama responding to the issue, "There was nobody there who thought at all that I was trying to inject race in this."

No comments:

Post a Comment

This isn't too complicated. If you disagree with me, I'm more than happy to have an honest discussion. I'm quite open to learning new facts and ideas. I'm dying for a conservative to explain their ideas in a sensible way.

But, I do have rules, and they also apply to those who agree with me. They just get the benefit of my already knowing the fact they'll be referring to.

So, here're the comment thread rules:

1 - Use facts.
2 - Refer to policy.
3 - Don't rely on theories and conjectures. Show me how, for example, a public health insurance option will lead to "rationing" of health care.
4 - No unfounded attacks on any entity.

If you break those rules, I will edit your comment to my own whimsical satisfaction.

Lastly, perhaps most importantly, I'm not going to entertain too much pro-white/racism-denying discussion. I want this to be a space to discuss strategies to fight racism, not space where I have to fight racism. I want anti-racists to be able to come here for a mental respite. If what you're interested in doing is attempting to demonstrate the fallacy of anti-racism by repeating the same ole comments and questions and accusations we hear all the time, please do that somewhere else.

Share This Article

Bookmark and Share

But Don't Jack My Genuis