Monday, October 13, 2008

You Gotta Be Kidding Me!

But of course, McCain's not kidding.

Here he is declining to condemn the comments of a GOP leader in Virginia who said Obama and bin Laden are the same because the both have friends who've bombed the Pentagon. Not even close to being the same or even factually accurate. He kinda ignores the question by accusing US Rep. John Lewis of equating him with the then racist and segregationist George Wallace. What Rep. Lewis said is that McCain, like Wallace, in fomenting an atmosphere of hate, one that's all the more dangerous due to the many assassinations that have occurred in the past. Rep. Lewis didn't say McCain is racist like Wallace was, he said they're doing the same thing. And they are. It's only recently that McCain made a small gesture towards tamping down the hate and surprise that an "uppity, smooth-talking, empty-suited, revenged-minded, nigger" might actually become president.

The fact that he either doesn't understand the different or is willing to ignore the difference doesn't speak well for him.




And this is worse.

Now, being a Christian myself, this sort of "God-off" isn't unfamiliar to me. There's a story in the Bible of the Prophet Elijah challenging prophets of Baal to a sort of God-off on Mt. Carmel in 1 Kings 18:16-40.

But that's entirely different from what this guy is doing. First of all, Obama is a Christian. Second of all, lots of Christians, including myself, are praying that Barack win. And lastly, his not-so-covert implication that others praying to "Allah" want Obama to win for some nefarious reasons is racist, hateful, and ignorant.

Lord, I 'clare! These white Evangelicals and/or Fundamentalists are just giving the rest of us a bad name. All I should really say is, "Forgive them, Lord. They know not what they do. . . And while you're at, please let Barack Obama win. Abortions go down under Democratic administrations. More people prosper and less fall into poverty under Democratic administrations. And also, Lord, maybe supporting democratically elected regimes in other countries, and sending aid in the form of food and education instead of guns and weapons will help ease the hate against us. Maybe leaving Iraq will take away some of bin Laden's propaganda against us. Cause Lord, we know we fight not against flesh and blood, but against ideas and spiritual forces. This I pray in Jesus name, Amen."

And what I'll add, to you and not in prayer, is that McCain/Palin are lying about how we ended up in this mortgage crisis. I hope you read my previous post, "This Time, I'm Adding My View."

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know I said I was going to avoid American politics. But all the lies coming from McCain/Palin are just repulsive.

Share This Article

Bookmark and Share

But Don't Jack My Genuis