Sunday, December 9, 2007

Introduction

How do you do? I'm new here and just staying up late. I thought it'd be a good idea to introduce myself. Gotta admit, I'm kind of excited to share my thoughts with others. But, also, I'm not interested in an argument. I'm not into the whole "you're an idiot" disrespectful thing, so if you disagree with my politics, don't comment cause I'm gonna delete it anyway. To be clear, I'm all for open discussion and sharing of thoughts, ideas, and different views, but none of this disrespectful, trolling stuff. I have CFIDS (chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome) and do not have the enery or desire to defend my thoughts and views to random, anonymous, angry people.

CFIDS is also known as CFS, chronic fatigue syndrome. It totally sucks, but I have learned a lot. I can write more about it later; I probably will. The CFIDS flared on me my senior year in college; so, I still live with my parents. But for those of you whose health and finances offer other options, don't take living on your own for granted!

I'm an African American woman, a Christian, and a progressive. I loves me some football! I enjoy sports in general, except for hockey and soccer.

I'm a womanist. On occassion, I can be a bit of a black nationalist, especially when it concerns cultural issues.

I fancy myself an author, but very few works of fiction actually interest me. So, while I do read a lot, I don't read a lot of fiction. As a writer, the topic that interests me most is the relationship between black mothers and daughters. In my own experience, the relationship between black mothers and daughters is work exploring. Most black mothers successfully raise "strong, black" women, but do not approve of that strength being used against them and that's where some problems between black mothers and daughters lie. Black Feminist Thought by Patricia Hills Collins deals with the subject and is just a magnificent book. It was like water to me; There Eyes Were Watching Good was like air. My favorite quote from THEIR EYES: When you drop yo pants, you look lak da change ob life!

I'm interested in lots of things. Politics, social issues, foreign affairs, history, etc. I'm also curious about a great many things, including economics. Don't get excited econ buffs! I'm only interested because I fail to see how a fair and equitible distribution of wealth will lead to poverty for EVERYBODY. I've never been a numbers buff, which is why I eshewed econ. My interest basically started because I HAD to know how tax cuts for the rich benefits everybody. Turns out, the Laffer curve is just a joke! So basically, I'm not interested in economics except how it works out in real life.

So, that's basically me. I have a lot to say, a lot that I've learned from life; hope you don't mind listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This isn't too complicated. If you disagree with me, I'm more than happy to have an honest discussion. I'm quite open to learning new facts and ideas. I'm dying for a conservative to explain their ideas in a sensible way.

But, I do have rules, and they also apply to those who agree with me. They just get the benefit of my already knowing the fact they'll be referring to.

So, here're the comment thread rules:

1 - Use facts.
2 - Refer to policy.
3 - Don't rely on theories and conjectures. Show me how, for example, a public health insurance option will lead to "rationing" of health care.
4 - No unfounded attacks on any entity.

If you break those rules, I will edit your comment to my own whimsical satisfaction.

Lastly, perhaps most importantly, I'm not going to entertain too much pro-white/racism-denying discussion. I want this to be a space to discuss strategies to fight racism, not space where I have to fight racism. I want anti-racists to be able to come here for a mental respite. If what you're interested in doing is attempting to demonstrate the fallacy of anti-racism by repeating the same ole comments and questions and accusations we hear all the time, please do that somewhere else.

Share This Article

Bookmark and Share

But Don't Jack My Genuis