Saturday, August 30, 2008

God I Know, Paul I Know, but Who Are You? I

I am a Christian.

Yes. Just like it says under the title, I'm a Christian. I believe that a little over 2000 years ago that the Holy Spirit fell upon a young Jewish virgin girl and impregnated her. I believe nine months later, she gave birth to a baby boy in a manger - or, more to paint a better picture, at the ground level of the housing structure where animals are general held. There was no Motel 6 leaving the light on. It was a perhaps a three level living structure, the "inn" was probably one of the upper levels. Since everyone was returning to their town of birth for tax season, the "inn" and every other "inn" in Bethlehem probably was full.

But, continuing on. Yes, I do believe that he turned 2 fish and 5 loaves of breath into a feast for 5thousand. Yes, I do believe he turned water into wine. Yes, I do believe he held the sick, cast out demons, gave sight to the blind, you know the list.

And yes, most especially, I believe he died on the cross to pay for the sins of the world, most especially mine. And yes, I believe he arose from the dead on the third day.

You can call me crazy for that. You can say I'm believing in fairy tales. I don't care.

But let's get things straight. Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I'm a homophobe. I'm perfectly comfortable in sexuality and really couldn't care less if a gay couple moved in across the street. Now, I don't wanna see them hugging and kissing good-bye or hello, but that has nothing to do with guy-on-guy or girl-on-girl action. That's because I hate PDA period. Holding hands, arms over the shoulder, across the waist, anything like that, I can live with. But I hate PDA, and that includes straight couples and any couples on TV.

Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I'm anti-abortion. I sincerely wish we lived in a world where every life was precious and safe. Where everyone had the same opportunity to live and enjoy life. But that's just not the case. There's financial and health disparities in the US. There're wars and genocide around the world. Plus, the world is getting to be overpopulated anyway. We don't really need to keep propagating.

Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I'm against embryonic stem cell research. Let's be honest, the embryos they used are about to be discarded. And instead of adopting a "snowflake," how about these loving couples, gay or straight, adopt a child out of the foster care system. Yes, they come with more problems and complications. Yes, there may even be problems with the child(ren)'s birth parents, but these are actually living, breath kids who need someone to love them. That embryo you're so concerned about can't feel hurt, hunger, hot, cold, abandonment or even your "love."

And that brings me to a separate but related issue, if you're a Christian, STOP USING FERTILITY TREATMENTS to have kids. Yes, that's what I said, STOP WITH THE FERTILITY TREATMENTS!! You profess to believe in God, you claim to trust him in every way - then why are you undercutting God by spending tens of thousands of dollars on fertility treatments that may or may not work. Clearly, God's in charge of opening and closing wombs (Genesis 30:2, if that helps). And instead of giving birth to your own child, maybe God has something else for you. And by something else, I mean trust God, what he has for you is actually better than what you think you want. And besides, all these fertility treatments is what contributing to the whole problem around embryonic stem cell research.

You know what, let me make a suggestion. We know that about 66% or more abortions are actually do the financial strain a new baby will place on the family, instead of self-righteously judging women who can't afford, or maybe just don't want to, have another child, keep your tens or thousands of dollars you're wasting on fertility treatments and adopt a child that would otherwise be aborted.

And trust me, I do have some experience with adoption. Two of my cousins are adopted. They were adopted as babies, so maybe that made things easier. But they are family. My aunt and uncle have the two they adopted and one they had on their own, and trust me, if you cross any of the three, they will bust your head till the white meat shows (RIP Bernie Mac). But that's for another post.

Christianity is more than about dos and don'ts. It's not about following a list of rules or reciting pre-written prayers or telling all your business to someone who's confessing to someone else (sorry Catholics).

Christianity is more than fear of hell and desire for heaven. I didn't accept Christ because I was afraid of dying.

Christianity is about connecting to the Higher Power that controls and guides all. Some call that power "the Universe." But it's about connecting to that Spirit that's greater and better and bigger than you. That Spirit that connects us all as human beings, having been made by the same creator. It's about the comfort and wonder, the strength and love I feel right now. Right while I'm alive. Even though things aren't really going "my way," I have a peace and serenity I would not trade for anything in the world. That's what Christianity is about. Not feeling guilty for breaking "rules" or being absolutely certain about anything besides God's love for me.

And really, when it comes to rules, there're only two biggies, and if you get these two, you're good:
  1. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, all your soul, and all your strength.
  2. Love your neighbor the way you love yourself.

That's it. That's all you need to worry about.

Share This Article

Bookmark and Share

But Don't Jack My Genuis