Saturday, August 7, 2010

Here’s What’s Been Bothering Me: a Conflict of Faiths

For weeks I’ve been bothered by this question: in what way is the black Church and the white Church united to form something of a multiracial, multicultural American Church?

Understand that theologically speaking there’s only one Church. It’s kinda like pan-Africanism and the African-diaspora. We’re all over the world, right? And even though we speak different languages and eat different foods, sing different songs and dance to different beats; ultimately the majority of us realize we’re part of one large family with a single Mother Africa. Right? Does that make sense? In that same way, even though there’re different Protestant denominations, the Catholic church, and then a plethora of Eastern and Near Eastern Orthodox churches, we’re all part of one large family with one God. And we’re all under a biblical imperative to be united in “mind and thought, and love” (Colossians 2:2, 1 Corinthians 1:10 respectively).

Now, don’t misunderstand. I don’t believe it’s necessary that we all attend integrated churches just for the sake thereof. Not that there’s nothing to be gained from joining multiracial congregations; just that I find the flip complaint about how segregated Sunday is to be superficial. Think of it like this: even if from this moment forward, racism were expunged from the hearts and minds of all American Christians, most especially the white ones, there’d still remain different styles of worship and preaching. Right? Not to mention the fact that Sunday morning worship is a family-experience, most people attending the church their families have been attending for generations. Don’t get me wrong – in college, the church I most often attended was multiracial from beginning to end! So I’m not saying that’s a bad idea, just that it’s not necessary to throw First Baptist Church Wherever and Wherever Baptist Church together just for the hell of it, to turn a phrase. Especially in the absence of ending anti-black and brown (and yellow and red) racism. And yes, in my county there is a First Baptist Wherever, which is black, maybe about a 5 minute drive from Wherever Baptist, which is white.

So anyway. For the time being, let’s just focus on the Christians in the continental US. How can I possibly unite with people who think themselves superior, even to the point of rising in righteous indignation when they’re called out? I’m sorry, but when I see and hear what they think of people of color and themselves, some even having the nerve to come questioning the faith of black Christians because we vote so often for Democrats; the fact that we’re all covered by the same Blood allegedly just ain’t enough to get me over.

Cause the way they act, Jesus died long before enough blood was shed to cover the sin of blackness, and couldn't shed enough blood to cover the sin of immigrancy. You’ve seen that blonde-haired, blue-eyed Jesus. How can he, the blonde-haired, blue-eyed Jesus, not the real Jesus who probably looked more like a Palestinian than an Israeli (Oh yeah, I went there.)  judge fairly between whites and people of color? I mean really. Wouldn’t there be some conflict of interest? Cause when it comes to the white American Church and the African American Church, there’s certainly a conflict of faiths.

This is a series and more will be written soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This isn't too complicated. If you disagree with me, I'm more than happy to have an honest discussion. I'm quite open to learning new facts and ideas. I'm dying for a conservative to explain their ideas in a sensible way.

But, I do have rules, and they also apply to those who agree with me. They just get the benefit of my already knowing the fact they'll be referring to.

So, here're the comment thread rules:

1 - Use facts.
2 - Refer to policy.
3 - Don't rely on theories and conjectures. Show me how, for example, a public health insurance option will lead to "rationing" of health care.
4 - No unfounded attacks on any entity.

If you break those rules, I will edit your comment to my own whimsical satisfaction.

Lastly, perhaps most importantly, I'm not going to entertain too much pro-white/racism-denying discussion. I want this to be a space to discuss strategies to fight racism, not space where I have to fight racism. I want anti-racists to be able to come here for a mental respite. If what you're interested in doing is attempting to demonstrate the fallacy of anti-racism by repeating the same ole comments and questions and accusations we hear all the time, please do that somewhere else.

Share This Article

Bookmark and Share

But Don't Jack My Genuis