Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Here's Hillary and btw, "Yes, We Can!"

The New Hampshire Democratic primary election has been called for Hillary Clinton. Barack Obama has come in a close second. John Edwards came in third.

I have to be honest: I am a little disappointed. Obama is still "fired up and ready to go!" But I'm disappointed.

That having been said, congratulations Hillary Clinton. Her win is good for the nation. The pundits had said Obama would win by a landslide, and he did do better than expected a couple of weeks ago, and that after South Carolina, it would be over. I think this is good because two states, whose demographics in no way represent the nation, should decide either candidate. That's basically it. Oh, and I hope Clinton will stop attacking Obama. Like I said, I'd vote for Clinton in the general, but the attacks against Obama turned me off. Truth be told, I'd really like a Obama/Clinton ticket, but the acrimony is making that seem less likely. While I find Clinton a tad too far to the right for my personal tastes, I also think she probably has the connections to effect change.

On the other hand, I think she has too many connections to effect as much change as needed if she's pushing her own agenda and not someone else's.

And, I don't like the notion that Obama and Edwards are engaged in wishful thinking.

But, Clinton's emotional moment tugged at my heart. The cheap shot against Obama undid some of the heart-tugging, though.

Again, Clinton's win is good for the country and the party. The discussion will and should continue. I hope Barack Obama wins and still believe he has a marvelous shot, but the conversation shouldn't begin and end in Iowa and New Hampshire. That's just silly. Not only are the states not demographically representative of the nation, they're only 2 of 50 states. Plus, this means Clinton will campaign in South Carolina, and I was going to be pissed if she didn't. If she didn't (or doesn't, but she better), she'd be telling African Americans, "I can win without you!" Which . . . okay, it's true. She could. Bush only got around 10% of the Black vote in both 2000 and 2004 (So citizens of the world don't blame him on us). But I'd still be p-i-issed.

So anyway, the conversation continues . . . but this is NOT a historical upset, Tim Russert.

Update: Hillary's emotional display probably did help her. But that's a bit because on Keith Olbermann showed the entire clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This isn't too complicated. If you disagree with me, I'm more than happy to have an honest discussion. I'm quite open to learning new facts and ideas. I'm dying for a conservative to explain their ideas in a sensible way.

But, I do have rules, and they also apply to those who agree with me. They just get the benefit of my already knowing the fact they'll be referring to.

So, here're the comment thread rules:

1 - Use facts.
2 - Refer to policy.
3 - Don't rely on theories and conjectures. Show me how, for example, a public health insurance option will lead to "rationing" of health care.
4 - No unfounded attacks on any entity.

If you break those rules, I will edit your comment to my own whimsical satisfaction.

Lastly, perhaps most importantly, I'm not going to entertain too much pro-white/racism-denying discussion. I want this to be a space to discuss strategies to fight racism, not space where I have to fight racism. I want anti-racists to be able to come here for a mental respite. If what you're interested in doing is attempting to demonstrate the fallacy of anti-racism by repeating the same ole comments and questions and accusations we hear all the time, please do that somewhere else.

Share This Article

Bookmark and Share

But Don't Jack My Genuis