As you may know, right-wing talk show hosts have been bringing race-based fear mongering into the mainstream, but FOX's Glenn Beck just took it to another level. On Tuesday, Beck said:
This president has exposed himself as a guy over and over and over again who has
a deep-seated hatred for white people... this guy is, I believe, a racist.
It's part of a larger argument Beck has been making: that President Obama wants to serve the needs of Black communities at White people's expense. This kind of talk stirs up fear, hate, and it can lead to violence.
I've joined ColorOfChange.org's effort to stop Glenn Beck. ColorOfChange is already putting calls into Beck's advertisers, asking them if they want to be associated with this kind of racist hate and fear-mongering. When the advertisers see that tens of thousands of us are behind that question, I believe they'll move their advertising dollars elsewhere, and his show and platform will be history.
Will you take a stand and be counted, and invite your friends and family to do the same? It takes just a moment:
Glenn Beck is appealing to the worst in America. Of course, some Americans refuse to accept the fact that our president is Black or the idea that he could truly serve all Americans. But the only way these views fade away is if they're not reinforced by mainstream society. Instead, folks like Glenn Beck, Lou Dobbs, and Rush Limbaugh are exploiting racism and race-based fear to bump their ratings, stirring up racial discord in the process.
The dangers of these tactics are real. We saw the same dynamic during the presidential race: By the end, the McCain/Palin campaign was unable to control the violent energy whipped up by their race-baiting. It resulted in an unprecedented number of threats on Obama's life, a rise in the number of hate groups, and an increase in the number of threats and crimes against immigrants and Black people.
FOX has a horrible track record on pushing racist propaganda, but Glenn Beck appears to be taking the network to an even lower standard. He's trying to divide and distract America when we should be coming together and talking about issues that really matter--like health care and the economy.
The good news is that we have the power to stop this. All major media is funded by advertising. And advertisers care more than anything what consumers think. If we want to change what's happening and put an end to folks like Glenn Beck having a platform, we can do it.
It's up to us, and it can start now. Please join me:
Here are some links to more info:
"Beck: Obama has 'exposed himself as a guy' with 'a deep seated hatred for white people'"
"Glenn Beck: Obama agenda driven by 'reparations' and desire to 'settle old racial scores'" (One could only hope! ~ No1KState)
"MSNBC's Deutsch encourages viewers to demand advertisers on Beck's show spend money elsewhere"
"On Television and Radio, Talk of Obama's Citizenship"
~ More references via email message - No1KState
1. "Beck: Obama has 'exposed himself as a guy' with 'a deep seated hatred for white people'" Media Matters, 7-28-09
2. "On Television and Radio, Talk of Obama's Citizenship," The New York Times, 7-24-09
3. "Rush and reparations," The Nation, 5-12-2009
4. "Homeland Security report warns of rising right-wing extremism, Huffington Post, 4-14-2009 http://tinyurl.com/cpgx6q
5. "Barack Obama faces 30 death threats a day, stretching US Secret Service," The Telegraph, 8-3-2009
6. "Growing hate groups blame Obama, economy," CNN, 2-26-2009
7. "Election of Obama provokes rise in U.S. hate crimes," Reuters, 11-24-2008
8. ColorOfChange.org email on Fox's attacks on the Obamas
9. "An overview: Fox News and its problem with African-Americans," ColorOfChange.org