Friday, March 7, 2008

Breaking News: Clinton Downplayed Her NAFTA Criticism

Okay. I've been trying to 'vet' this story for the past little bit, but I'm not getting all the info I want. All I'm getting is that Hillary Clinton's campaign told Canada's government to take her comments regarding renegotiating NAFTA with a grain of salt. Some reports say that both Clinton and Barack Obama reassured the Canadian government. A few recent reports say it was Clinton's campaign who contacted the Canadian government, not the Obama campaign. Plus, the opposition party in Canada is alleging that Prime Minister Stephen Harper, or at least an aide, wanted the story leaked to try to knock Obama from the elections.

And do we need to get into Clinton's apparent preference for John McCain over Obama? "Senator McCain will bring a lifetime of experience to the campaign, I will bring a lifetime of experience, and Senator Obama will bring a speech he gave in 2002," a derisive Clinton said yesterday to the retired military officers at the Westin in Dupont Circle."

Or, comparing Obama to Ken Star?

UPDATE: Here's a blog from The Huffington Post on the issue. In it, Paul Loeb reports that it was Clinton, not Obama, who reassured the Canadian government.

UPDATE #2: Clinton did not reassure the Canadian government, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This isn't too complicated. If you disagree with me, I'm more than happy to have an honest discussion. I'm quite open to learning new facts and ideas. I'm dying for a conservative to explain their ideas in a sensible way.

But, I do have rules, and they also apply to those who agree with me. They just get the benefit of my already knowing the fact they'll be referring to.

So, here're the comment thread rules:

1 - Use facts.
2 - Refer to policy.
3 - Don't rely on theories and conjectures. Show me how, for example, a public health insurance option will lead to "rationing" of health care.
4 - No unfounded attacks on any entity.

If you break those rules, I will edit your comment to my own whimsical satisfaction.

Lastly, perhaps most importantly, I'm not going to entertain too much pro-white/racism-denying discussion. I want this to be a space to discuss strategies to fight racism, not space where I have to fight racism. I want anti-racists to be able to come here for a mental respite. If what you're interested in doing is attempting to demonstrate the fallacy of anti-racism by repeating the same ole comments and questions and accusations we hear all the time, please do that somewhere else.

Share This Article

Bookmark and Share

But Don't Jack My Genuis