Friday, December 14, 2007

O2: Disturbing Update

There are many, many people on Oprah's message boards upset with Oprah for campaigning Obama. They have several reasons. I considered joining the message board to do a little touching up site-on, but like I've said before, I have neither energy nor desire to engage with random, arrogant, angry people. There were others who shared my views, to be sure. Not all the comments are negative.

One of the more innocuous reasons for the maylay is that she's a celebrity and celebrities shouldn't get involved in politics. Of course I find that idea a little silly, but at least it applies equally to all famous people. I don't understand why American celebrities can't voice their political convictions. Do they become less American the more famous they get? Does the political process begin to matter less the more famous one becomes? Do we think decisions made in DC don't affect them? Or, is it that we like to have fantasies about our celebrities and their politics, and we don't like them straying from the scripts we have written for them? Well, I mean, unless, of course, the celebrity is running for president as a Republican.

I guess, then, that if Oprah were running for president as a Republican, everyone in her fan base would cheer her. But, lets move on to the more disturbing reasons . . . and try to keep our breakfasts/lunches/dinners down.

gz3ro4
1 posts since
Dec 13, 2007
Reply 1. Re: IS THERE A WHITE ONLY SIGN POSTED ON THE WHITE HOUSE DOOR? WILL OBAMA'S WIN CHANGE THE NAME TO "THE BLACK HOUSE"? Dec 13, 2007 7:22 PM

do you mean Barack Hussein Obama Jr as in his birth name was barry but changed it to be more muslim. This guy claims to be a black man, and completely forsakes the fact that he is half white. When did Oprah go to this much trouble before for any candiate, never. It is simply due to race and nothing else.


gz3ro4 is responding to this post:
IS THERE A WHITE ONLY SIGN POSTED ON THE WHITE HOUSE DOOR? WILL OBAMA'S WIN CHANGE THE NAME TO "THE BLACK HOUSE"?
Dec 13, 2007 6:27 PM ewinkey
12 posts since
Dec 3, 2007
Oprah fans get over it! Oprah has worked very hard for her title and success. Obama has the right to run for president and she has the right to back him. There is no White Only Sign Posted on The White House. When a White celebrity backs a White candidate it's just politics. However, when a Black celebrity backs a Black candidate it's insane. A true fan would accept her decision and continue to be a fan. You're only a fan when she agrees with you. If you can't respect her decision you're not a fan. You're the Traitors!!!!!!!!!!! Will we ever stop fighting each other? Our family, friends, money, material things and idols are only temporary. In a wink of an eye we can leave this world and take nothing with us. We need to love each other and share our success.


So let's take apart gz3ro4's response:
First of all, Barack Hussein Obama's name has always been Barack, but Barry is a reasonable nickname, not to mention it's "American." You know? Ronny is a reasonable nickname for Ronald, but what grown man would let anyone other than his brothers and sisters call him that? Can we really blame Barack for acknowledging and showing pride for his true roots? Would we rather him be like Bobby Jindal, who's real name is Piyush, and deny his heritage?

Second of all, is it just me, or doesn't Obama talk about his white mother and having been raised in part by his white grandparents and how is Kenyan father abandoned him? Gee, guess Barry should go around and say, "Even though I look black, and I've been stopped by police for DWB and I can't get a cab in NYC, when I campaign, I'll tell everyone I'm half-white. Don't worry, my Euro-American brethren, not only am I half-white and related to Dick Cheney, my white ancestors owned slaves! Vote for me!"

exp_writer
4 posts since
Nov 10, 2007
Reply 2. Re: IS THERE A WHITE ONLY SIGN POSTED ON THE WHITE HOUSE DOOR? WILL OBAMA'S WIN CHANGE THE NAME TO "THE BLACK HOUSE"? Dec 13, 2007 7:28 PM
in response to: gz3ro4
I agree with something someone said: When has Oprah ever supported a political candidate to this caliber, ever? Never. If Obama were white, would Oprah give him the time of day?


exp_writer agrees with gz3ro4 that Oprah's racist and is only supporting Obama because he's the first black, er, half black, American to have a realistic chance at winning the race. Lots of others hold this view, which is why I feel free to elucidate a bit what they're saying. And, isn't that the most ridiculous thing you've heard? Like ewinkey says, white celebs support white candidates ALL the time and nobody says boo. Oh, I guess that's because if only a bunch of white men are running, you really can't say the system is a bit . . . racist. Oops! I just said it.

Curt Schillings for McCain. Chuck Norris is campaigning for Huckabee. I googled for Curt and McCain! Nothing as vicious as what Oprah's getting on her own message board.

And you know what? What IF Oprah were only supporting Barry because he's half black? Like this'll just destroy the chances for any white candidate. And as far as Oprah being racist, has anyone not seen all of her producers and associate producers on stage with her?

Then, there's rednecky, and trust me, the screenname tells you all you need to know:
rednecky
72 posts since
Dec 13, 2007
Reply 9. Re: IS THERE A WHITE ONLY SIGN POSTED ON THE WHITE HOUSE DOOR? WILL OBAMA'S WIN CHANGE THE NAME TO "THE BLACK HOUSE"? Dec 13, 2007 9:49 PM
in response to: kpederson1
No, it won't become the Black House. It will become a mosque and a place to entertain the world's worse: leaders of Iran, Syria and North Korea.


rednecky says some other ignorant stuff, namely that all blacks blame all whites for slavery when it wasn't all Europeans fault. Awwooo, poor white people. Um, yeah, I'll check that ignorance in my next post.

But, let's get in rednecky's (Is it just me, or do you not worry that there's a "redneck" around somewhere and rednecky just absently chose the next best option?) racist and ignorant comment.

First of all, should it really matter if Obama were Muslim? Let's just say he is. Despite what Karl Rove would have you think, the Constitution proscribes AGAINST religious tests in politics. That means you're free to vote for or against someone based upon their religious affiliation, but in theory, it's not supposed to matter to you. Muslim can still run for office, as Keith Ellison has shown us; ie, when a citizen signs up to run for a political position, the registrar can't deny the application. In theory, the idea is supposed to carry on to the electorate, but you really can't do that, or you'd deny the right to vote for whomever you choose. I will also point out that Thomas Jefferson said:

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association, CT., Jan. 1, 1802


But, Obama is a Christian.

Second of all, we've been ignoring other leaders of the world for the past 7 years. All that's gotten us is two wars, more nuclear (or, nucular) proliferation, and a free bin Laden. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to actually acknowledge the rest of the world doesn't need our permission before preparing to defend themselves from, and I'm gonna just throw out a name here, US. Not to mention, in case some have forgotten, IRAN STOPPED ITS SECRET ENRICHMENT PROGRAM 4 YEARS AGO!!

And the slander doesn't stop there!

jack-jack
2 posts since
Dec 13, 2007
Reply 29. Re: In bad taste: Oprah campaigning for Obama Dec 13, 2007 8:59 PM

Once a public figure becomes larger than life, as Oprah has, they seem to lose touch with reality. I find it incredibly naive of Oprah to have endorsed Barack without thinking through what havoc doing so would create. Also, am I the only one offended by the southern accent she affect during her stump speeches? When did she acquire such a southern drawl? Oprah would have been so much more effective if she spoke as she normally does not as how she felt her audience wanted her to sound. It was very unsettling to her Oprah not be Oprah but someone she thought we wanted her to be. I love a southern accent, but I love it more when it's real.


Oprah's from Mississippi, lest we forget. I thought it was a sign of authenticity that she slipped into her Southern accent.

Then:
rdkng02
1 posts since
Nov 26, 2007
Reply 12. Re: In bad taste: Oprah campaigning for Obama Nov 26, 2007 6:17 PM

I just wonder if Oprah knows that Mr Obama refuses to pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States Of America , how can anyone in the U.S.A. respect the person. He was educated in India and raised Muslim he say he's a Christian now but I wonder what he really is hiding.I hope Oprah tells everone on her show Vote for Obama who refuse to pledge allegiance to the U.S.A..He will sells us all down the river.


Full disclosure, I only reluctantly put my hand on my heart and recite the pledge. One, there's hardly justice for all in America. Two, my family has my allegiance. My God has my allegiance. This country? . . . During the Olympics, I cheer proudly for America!

But as for Barry, there's a picture that claims to be of him not holding his hand over his heart during the pledge, but it was taken during the singing of the National Anthem. Barry had his hand over his heart during the pledge, and he had been taught by his white grandfather to hold his hands at his side during the Anthem.


There are hundreds more comments. I haven't read them all, and I didn't quote the worst. Some accuse the entire African American community of being racist*. Now, of course, in the face of institutional racism, disadvantaged groups often resists the labels placed on them. It's easy to call that racism, but the truth is that it's RESISTANCE. True, there are some blacks who believe blacks are superior to any other ethnic group. But, all of us? Wake me when Africa dominates the world.

Oh, I wasn't going to cite this one, but I feel I must:

OPRAH IS A TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!
Nov 27, 2007 12:08 PM austaz68
3 posts since
Nov 27, 2007
I cannot believe that women all over this country are not up in arms over Oprah's backing of Obama. For the first time in history, we actually have a shot at putting a woman in the white house and Oprah backs the black MAN. She's choosing her race over her gender- hypocracy at it's finest!! Oprah- you should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!


And a few responses:

sundogchen
2 posts since
Nov 27, 2007
Reply 15. Re: OPRAH IS A TRAITOR!!!!!!!!! Nov 27, 2007 11:37 PM

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well i wouldn't put it that strongly, but i do agree. it's been much harder for women to bust that glass ceiling than it has been for black men. maybe she doesn't see it since she is one in a million who have broken through. women, in some industries, are still making less money than their male equivalents. it's pathetic and insulting. whoever thinks that women don't know what prejudice is need to walk a mile in our shoes. we really really need a female in the ultimate leadership position in this country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! c'mon oprah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am disappointed and i do feel like she sold us white girls out. we need someone who will consider the interest of all women regardless of race. i really believe that hillary is that woman. i like obama too, but it's about damn time that women get some respect and credit for their abilities!


chloe0913
1 posts since
Nov 27, 2007
Reply 9. Re: OPRAH IS A TRAITOR!!!!!!!!! Nov 27, 2007 7:17 PM

I wouldn't say she is a traitor that is a strong word, but I do feel that she is going against all woman now after she got what she wanted from all of us. She talks about empowering woman, the school in Africa , the talk about abuse and how woman need stronger voices and we need to be heard and yet she has a chance to help us elect the FIRST WOMAN PRESIDENT of THE USA and she doesn't do this. I don't understand it. I have lost respect for her and her meaningless words, for that is all they were, just empty words..


Yeah, Oprah has committed treason against her white female audience. Poor white women. Can't get a chance.

I don't believe Oprah's supporting Barack just because his name is really Barack, you know, ethnic. I believe she's supporting him because he's the best candidate for president. Also, current me if I'm wrong, but isn't the notion that race is the only reason people would support Barack racist in and of itself? Much like accusations of the black community being racist as a whole? Just because we look out for each other and protect ourselves from the institutionalized racism of our larger society?

And, let's be honest. Nothing solidifies your blackness like attacks and false accusations from white people.

*Update: I've changed my mind about not posting a quote accusing the entire black community of racism. Bear in mind, now, that this is supposed to be reason not to support Obama.
killerbee6
20 posts since
Dec 13, 2007
Reply 12. Re: IS THERE A WHITE ONLY SIGN POSTED ON THE WHITE HOUSE DOOR? WILL OBAMA'S WIN CHANGE THE NAME TO "THE BLACK HOUSE"? Dec 13, 2007 10:26 PM
in response to: mohini52
The African Americans are STILL blaming the White Folk for the Slavery. They think white people still owe them something. This is the greatest arrogance. Ever.

And you want THAT in the White House?!?! Hell NO!


Obama is unelectable as president because we "STILL blame White Folks for the Slavery?" [emphasis mine. And yes, that's Slavery with a capital S.] And it's we African Americans who have the problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This isn't too complicated. If you disagree with me, I'm more than happy to have an honest discussion. I'm quite open to learning new facts and ideas. I'm dying for a conservative to explain their ideas in a sensible way.

But, I do have rules, and they also apply to those who agree with me. They just get the benefit of my already knowing the fact they'll be referring to.

So, here're the comment thread rules:

1 - Use facts.
2 - Refer to policy.
3 - Don't rely on theories and conjectures. Show me how, for example, a public health insurance option will lead to "rationing" of health care.
4 - No unfounded attacks on any entity.

If you break those rules, I will edit your comment to my own whimsical satisfaction.

Lastly, perhaps most importantly, I'm not going to entertain too much pro-white/racism-denying discussion. I want this to be a space to discuss strategies to fight racism, not space where I have to fight racism. I want anti-racists to be able to come here for a mental respite. If what you're interested in doing is attempting to demonstrate the fallacy of anti-racism by repeating the same ole comments and questions and accusations we hear all the time, please do that somewhere else.

Share This Article

Bookmark and Share

But Don't Jack My Genuis